Thursday, December 10, 2009

Advent Day 10 - Jesus is a Servant

DAY 10: JESUS IS A SERVANT

I remember when I was three or four years old being called to the table for lunch. Naturally we had to wash up before going to the table, so having many siblings there was a fight as to who would get to wash up first (sibling rivelry at it's very best)During the commotion I remember my mother saying that when we get to Heaven the first will be last and the last will be first.....then there was a fight for who would be last! We obviously didn't get the whole idea of being a servant. It is interesting though how children do have the seed of servanthood already planted in their little hearts...waiting for the parental example and encouragement. Just watch little kids trying to help mommy and daddy!

For the adults of us....how about those individuals that you just LOVE because they always seem to be there for you. What an example of God's love thru servanthood.

When we follow Jesus...that is what we are called to be....servants just as he was!


Luke 22:27
For who is the greater, one who reclines at table or one who serves? Is it not the one who reclines at table? But I am among you as the one who serves.

John 13:4-15
(Jesus) rose from supper. He laid aside his outer garments, and taking a towel, tied it around his waist. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him. He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, do you wash my feet?” Jesus answered him, “What I am doing you do not understand now, but afterward you will understand.” Peter said to him, “You shall never wash my feet.” Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you have no share with me.” Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head!” Jesus said to him, “The one who has bathed does not need to wash, except for his feet, but is completely clean. And you are clean, but not every one of you.” For he knew who was to betray him; that was why he said, “Not all of you are clean.”
When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, “Do you understand what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment