Monday, December 7, 2009

Advent Day 8 - The Good Shephard


Jesus is the Good Shepherd


John 10:4
When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.

John 10:11
I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.
The Bible is full of stories about shephards. Shephards were everyday people, not people of high esteem or position. But they had a job that was hard....they lived in the elements and were responsible to keep the sheep safe from the elements as well as from wild animals. I think that there are a couple of things that come to my mind as I think of Jesus being THE GOOD SHEPHARD. One is, that the first individuals that were chosen to see the new born king were....Shephards, the most ordinary and simple of people that there were, were chosen to know and see HIM First! That's really cool! The other thing that I think of is the story of the Lost sheep....and all of the pictures that we have seen over the years of that story. God really must want a relationship with us, as lowly as we are.....to send his son to be our sacrifice....our sheep and shephard!
Every Christmas we are surrounded with reminders of his being The Good Shephard. This year as I put candy canes on my tree....I'm going to keep in mind all that He has done for me!

2 comments:

  1. By the way, we will be doing advent with you this year as well. We've caught up with the advent book you gave us (for the kids), and we grown-ups will be watching your blog daily. Hooray for you joining the blogging community!

    ReplyDelete