Thursday, December 3, 2009

THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD

There are a lot of books out there that celebrate Advent plus Advent Calendars of all different types, sizes and costs. Perhaps I just wasn't looking because I'm only just beging to discover these in the past 5 years or so. One I really like for parents of small kiddos....was actually out of print for a few years, but is now available again. The Book is "Celebrate with Joy" by **** Check out their website by clicking here!

One of here suggestions is to concentrate on one aspect of Christmas for you Advent Celebration for the year.

So I'm going to look at the different names of Jesus.

DAY 1 -- JESUS - THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD.

What does this mean? I'd love input from anyone who access' my blog on what you think about this.

John 8:12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

Years ago (I've been told) that the Christmas tree would be put up and decorated during the advent season, but candles would be added the last day as a reminder that Jesus is the Light of the World....I guess that we can understand why that would be a bit of a scary thing. I remember one of the ornaments that we hung on our Christmas tree every year when I was a kid was a light bulb that was from one of the very first Christmas tree light sets....it was the size of a regular light bulb too! How things change.

Another memory I have is that being a missionary's kid in PNG we just to take lanterns and go walking to the nearby village singing Christmas Carols. I guess that in essance was us sharing the 'light of the world'.


What memories do you have of "the lights of Christmas".

There is another good book that I got one Christmas by Ace Collins called "Stories behind the best loved Songs of Christmas" It's got lots of Christmas Carols which I will tell you about over the next few weeks (if you choose to join me). However, I didn't find one that talked about Jesus as the light of the world....can you think of any?

Now off to make some Christmas fudge with the grandkiddo and my sweet girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment